Mark the map!

Check out my other blog!

Tuesday, November 28

Are We IN North Dakota??

This morning when I awoke I was pleasantly surprised to see that the snow had not gone away overnight. It was still outside and waiting for Logan & I to play in it! We went out a couple of times during the day and had a great time (well, until Logan fell and actually felt how cold the snow was). By the afternoon the snow was coming down again in BIG flakes! I told Mike about it and told him he should try to leave work pretty early. He ended up leaving around 3:30. By 5:00 he still was not home so I called his cell to make sure he was OK. He was in town but had no way of getting to our house.


Sidenote: There are two ways to get to our home. One way is to go up a winding road which can get very slick in the winter. The other way is to go a longer but not as steep route. As you can guess everyone was taking choice number 2.

Mike took route #2 also since he was driving the Focus and didn't want to try to make it up the hill. He got about halfway up the road when traffic stopped and once it stopped the car could not get going on the icy road. So he turned around and headed back to town. He called me from the movie theater to let me know that he didn't know when he would be getting home.
I decided to drive the Explorer in and get him since it has 4 wheel drive. I could not believe how much the snow had accumulated since we had gone outside! The truck was completely covered - I had to use a broom to get the snow off (BTW, Logan thought this was hilarious). Once I got the snow off we began the trek into town. While driving I kept thinking "what the heck was Mike talking about, there isn't any traffic around". But then, I got to where he must have turned around. Cars were abandoned along side the road, people were walking along the road to get home, and in general no one knew how to think anymore.

Let me explain - in the Pacific NW when it snows I think it turns off the logical button in most people's heads. They simply ignore common sense and do what they think is right. Which most of the time is the worst decision they could have made!

So while driving into town a huge truck pulled out in front of me. We're driving along and all of a sudden he decides to STOP in the middle of the road to talk to a car that's stuck going the other direction. Because the ground is packed in ice covered by a layer of ice it is very difficult to stop quickly. Thankfully I was only going about 10 mph and managed to stop just before I hit his bumper. Ok, one accident averted. He pulled over to help or something so I continued on. I get closer to town and the traffic going out of town is completely stopped by this point. Another driver (going out of town) decides to get out of his car and stand in my lane of traffic. While I'm driving straight at him! He finally realized where he was and moved. I came to a stop, rolled down my window, and yelled at him. I said, "It's icy out and I was barely able to stop in time. Get back in your car or you're going to cause another accident!" He blankly stared at me and I don't think he did get back in his car.

I finally arrived at the theater, picked up Mike, and we went to Red Robin for dinner. We figured we might as well kill some time and let at least some of the idiots get off the road. By the time we finished eating it wasn't too bad getting back home. We only ran into one car that was stuck on the road. Mike ended up leaving his car at the theater and we'll go in and get it tomorrow. He has NO plans of driving to work. At this point it would be safe to say we've gotten at least 10" of snow here. And for a reference last year, I believe it snowed once but never stuck! Thank goodness we have that North Dakota background huh?















The first picture was taken around 11 am, the second one around 8 pm.

10 Comments:

Blogger FTMo2 said...

Logan looks soo pinchable in that snow suit!!! Where are his mittens mommy??? :)~

11/28/2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Wow! How incredible for the Seattle area... I think we must be sending all of our snow your way. I hope things calm down up there soon. Be safe on the icy roads!

11/28/2006 7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you have way more snow - we just have a dusting - we had enough to make a snowman (small one) on Sunday afternoon but obvioulsy this latest dump somehow missed our pocket of the woods.

So hubby phoned to say it was a snowday today (no school) and I was surprised - I heard the thunder last night and watched the Seahawks play so knew it was snowing downtown but I went to bed at 8pm so I missed the traffic and weather reports.

Craziness - I think you and I are so used to dry snow conditions that this skiff of snow that freezes followed by freezing rain is just weird.

Kids are disappointed - they're used to school closing if there's been a huge blizzard and a couple of feet of snow dump - what we got last night isn't even worth going outside to check out.:)

So anyhoo, lets' play the 405 conditions by ear these next couple of days and see when might be good to hook up - sounds like you'll barely make it to the local 7-11.

I hear Microsoft campus closed too.

11/28/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

We got a dusting of snow last night, but it is icy as all get out this morning. Mitch is working from home this morning until it warms up a little..

Guess what I got in my mail last night? A little something from the SSBM! :-)

Hugs,
Becca

11/28/2006 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you all made it home safely!! And as far as I'm concerned, you guys can keep all the snow, we don't need it here in MN. Actually, we had thunderstorms this morning!!! Totally weird for almost December!

11/28/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

Hi again Tanya!

I tagged you today! Six weird things about you...come on over when you get a chance.

Have a great day!
Becca

11/28/2006 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tanya!! Glad to hear that at least you guys are all right and that you haven't gotten frozen yet!!!!
We are currently in the biggest ever blizzard, snow falling and falling, and it is -41 with the wind chill, ah yeas good old Saskatchewan ;)
I had to change security on my blog again so if you have trouble getting in just let me know and I will get you back in there!!
~God Bless~
that little man is so adorable in his snow jacket ;)

http://mammabear222.spaces.live.com

11/28/2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hurray for the snow! We're getting our dump of it as we speak!!!

11/28/2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Bridie said...

That is so amazing! Wish it snowed for christmas here! Sorry I haven't commented for a while but my computer has been sick! Logan looks soooooo cute in his snow gear!

11/28/2006 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know crazy - we have no bad roads or snow anywhere in this pocket of an area but a 1/2 mile south? 3 inches of snow and sheer ice conditions.

So I can't explain it - the dump of snow thing for the whole state of ND was the same for Alberta - it was like a great big bucket i the sky wold open up.

Anyhoo, I know another storm is coming in tomorrow so we'll play it by ear. No worries - if I can't pick it up before I leave on the trip, I can always mail you a cheque (check) and then get it when we're back after the 12th.

I'm so glad Logan had fun in the snow - and I sincerely hope for your guys' sake that he will soon have that to look forward to as his winter reality all the time.

11/29/2006 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe in a reader

RSS Feed

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)