Mark the map!

Check out my other blog!

Sunday, September 14

His Name

Some of you might wonder how Noah got his name. And if you don't too bad, you're getting the story anyway! :) Let me just start by saying that Noah was NEVER on the name list - neither of us had thought of it. And remember how in Noah's birth story my name was thrown out the window? So yeah, the name picking went just GREAT this time around!!

Mike was hooked on the name Nicholas. I do like the name Nicholas, but I don't care for the name Nick. There are some not-so-great words that rhyme with Nick so I was pretty set against that name. BUT I didn't have any alternatives - which made me feel like a horrible mother before my baby was even born.

(With Logan we had it narrowed down to two names - Logan and Connor. No more, no less.)

When we went to the hospital we still did not have an agreement for a name. We didn't even agree on a middle name. I was set on it being Jimmy since that is my Dad's name, but Mike wasn't sure about it. All the suggestions that he gave for a middle name were turned down by me - so again the name picking was going just swimmingly!! So we're at the hospital and of course the nurses are asking about names and we have nothing. N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Fast forward to 4:28 pm and Baby S is born and we still have nothing. Wait - I take that back! Mike is over by the baby and I hear his ask (the baby) if he would like the middle name Jimmy. Baby S seems to agree because I hear Mike say that we at least have a middle name. Yay!! We still need a first name though :(

I get moved over to the birth center of the hospital and of course we have family coming in all evening to see us. And of course everyone asks what his name is and we.got.nothin'! It's now after 9 pm and my parents have taken Logan home so it's just us, Mike's Mom and his Auntie Em at the hospital. They remember that Mike's cousin, Julie, is working in the food service area of the hospital. We decide to order a milkshake and see if Julie can deliver it, then she'll be able to meet the baby. About 15 minutes later Julie arrives at the room. She sits down to hold the baby and asks about a name. We tell her we don't have one and she proceeds to say that he looks like a Noah. Mike & I look at each other. We had never thought of that name but we both like it. We don't say too much but I know I'm thinking in my head that I really like that name!

Everyone leaves and it's just me, Mike and Baby in the room. We begin to talk about the name and both agree that we like it. On Monday we make it official and name him Noah Jimmy. Mike's cousin was beyond thrilled! And we of course can't thank her enough because if it weren't for her he might still be nameless.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes it just comes to you, doesn't it?! And I was looking at your profile picture. You'll need to update it with BOTH your boys!

9/14/2008 10:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

What a great story! Too funny :) Glad Noah has a name now ;)

9/14/2008 6:09 PM  
Blogger Austin Stevenson Owens said...

"and we.got.nothin'!"

Have I ever told you that I love the way you write? :D I adore the story of Noah's name--maybe it's a second child thing? We had a similar problem naming Emily... Jonathan thought her middle name of Frances was too old-fashioned... but it's my Grammy's name!! Of course I ended up getting my way... lol What can I say.

9/14/2008 11:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well that's a neat story on how he got his name!

9/17/2008 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe in a reader

RSS Feed

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)