Mark the map!

Check out my other blog!

Saturday, May 12

The First, True Sign of Summer

The other day Mike noticed a huge red circle on the back of my knee. He asked me what it was and I said I didn't know since I hadn't noticed it until then. I reached back and touched and felt a huge bump. And that's when it began…….the itching. I could not stop, every time I thought about it I itched at the bump. Thankfully by now, the itching has subsided but I had forgotten that that is the one, true sign of summer in these parts. The M word – mosquito – yuck!

I spotted the first one in the house today while I was vacuuming. I thought about taking a picture of the little pest but instead I sucked him up into the vacuum.


There are some other things we're getting used to since we moved back to ND. Some examples:


-it already stays light until after 9:30 pm (in WA it didn't stay light that late until July)


-a "big" rainstorm is considered over an inch, within a 3 day period (last November there were records set in WA – some areas received over 15")


-people think Mike will tire of his "commute" soon, it is about 12 min. long (in WA his commute averaged at least an hour – each way)


-even though houses are less around here, groceries are more expensive. In WA I could buy a gallon of milk for $2, here it is at least $3.65


-I've managed to get two sunburns already. I am not used to the sun being out this much. I think I'll have to put a bottle of sunscreen in both vehicles so I'm not looking like a lobster all summer long.


-when we mention our hometown someone always knows someone from there. We have to be careful of our facial expressions when they say the name. I don't think it would be polite to say, "You're related to them???? Eeeewwww!!"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest assured, the mosquitos are out here, too. Chris came inside a few nights ago, and he looked like he'd been attacked - he had about a dozen bites. None of the other kids had even one, so there's really something about Chris that attracts them.

Your 'thank goodness for insurance' comment was spot-on. All my tests are somewhere in the $30k neighborhood now, and all I'm responsible for are the $15 co-pays. SO nice.

I'd forgottena bout expensive groceries. Of course, when I left MN, I wasn't buying my own provisions yet. How are gas prices? I'm always surprised that WA gas prices are usually higher than midwest prices.

I hope you're having a fabulous Mother's Day. Hubby gave me a new camera, so I've spent most of my day trying to read the manual and figure out how to use it.

Glad you're all settling in.

Honor

5/13/2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Happy Mother's Day! I hope that you are having a great day! Bought those tickets yet? :-) 29 days until we are in Maine and then a bit over 3 months until we are all together in Cannon Beach...can you hear the waves?

5/13/2007 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pleased the itching has subsided
cool photo
Happy Mothers Day Tanya

5/13/2007 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing the price difference from one area to the next!!

You deserve some square plates!!!!!

5/14/2007 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those dang mosquitos!!!! I hate them! I'm glad you've settled in to your new place.

I've been slacking on my blog... over a month now. Not sure what my problem is. I'm trying to get back in to it.

Take Care!

5/14/2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger Austin Stevenson Owens said...

*sigh* Mosquitos. We need to hook up our mosquito killer bug lamp. Heh heh heh.

Milk's about $4.50 per gallon here!! Yeowch! We go to Sam's Club, though and get it for closer to $3.

5/14/2007 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the midwest! *sigh* there are things that would be nice to do with out (i.e. mosquitos and sunburns), but it's worth it to be back with family nearby and a great job! I am so glad you guys are getting settled in and I hope you find what you are looking for in a house.

5/15/2007 8:44 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Great new banner picture!

Mosquitoes are from SATAN. Does that sound like Beast Mom?

The mosquitoes here in WA are not bad compared with in AK but they're still annoying, and yes, they're out. And our new pond will probably attract them. Blech.

Jeri

5/15/2007 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe in a reader

RSS Feed

- Crazy/Hip Blog-Mamas+
(Random Site)